If your digging project damages a utility line:
- Stop work immediately.
- Do not attempt to repair the damaged line.
- If an injury has occurred, call 911 immediately.
- Call 448-4800 to inform us of the damage, and we will dispatch the proper crew to repair the damaged line.
- Call the Utility Notification Center of Colorado (UNCC) at 800-922-1987 to inform them of the damage – have your original locate request ticket number available.
- Wait for proper crews to make repairs, they will inform you when you can continue your project.
Safety Around Electricity
- Assume all electric lines are energized.
- Never touch any utility wire and do not touch anyone who is in contact with an electric wire.
- Never enter substations.
- Never disconnect or reconnect electric service lines.
- If equipment comes in contact with an electric line:
- Move the equipment away from the line if you can do so safely
- Warn others to stay away; anyone on the ground who touches the equipment is in danger of being killed or injured
- Stay on the equipment until an emergency responder indicates it is safe to get off
- Jump clear without touching the ground and equipment at the same time if fire forces you off the equipment.
- Hop away with both legs together
Safety Around Natural Gas
If you hit a natural gas line
- Leave the area and warn others
- Call us at 448-4800
- Remove ignition sources, such as cell phones and cigarettes
- Do not shut off, squeeze or clamp the gas line
- Do not bury the broken or damaged line
- Do not return until the area is declared safe